Sunday, May 31, 2009

My great-grandmother is turning 96 on June 19th. 96 years old. Wow. I am pretty sure I cannot even begin to fathom being 96. Think about all the experiences and things she has witnessed in the past century (it's close enough at this point). That is truly intense.

She called me today to see how things were going. She mentioned that she had to hire help for grocery shopping because the top shelf is too hard to reach now that she is shrinking (her words, not mine). I think at 96, you can go ahead and get help for grocery shopping. In fact, you can hire a maid service too. Meh, hire someone to cook. I think at 96, you've earned it (and ages beyond that too). When she was 89, she was still crawling around on her kitchen floor scrubbing it by hand. She cannot do that anymore but even at 89 that should be something that you avoid. 89 is pretty old too.

Speaking of age, I saw this British couple that have been married for 81 years. The guy is 101 and the wife is 100. They are Britain's longest married couple. At 81 years, they have to be darn close to the longest married couple on earth I'd think. 81 years of marriage is truly incredible. In a world where marriage is "the leading cause of divorce," seeing someone stay married for so many years is heartwarming. They were interviewed and the interviewer asked what the trick was to their marriage lasting for so long (aside from good genes to keep them going strong). They said that their disagreements and squabbles were the reason. All marriages have disagreements and apparently it was that which causes divorce in "new" marriages that held them together. The husband is nearly blind and almost completely deaf while the wife still talks a mile a minute but they are still going strong. Incredible.

At the wedding last week I bought a bathing suit. I have been using it too going to the pool here and whatnot. I was told of some beaches I could check out that tourists do not know about. That will probably come in handy (one beach normally has no one on it ever but you have to park and walk 15 minutes to get to it ... may be worth it? I'm not sure).

I was thinking about this master plan that NBC came up with moving Jay Leno to an earlier time slot on a new show (10pm) and giving Conan O'Brien the Tonight Show. Based upon the interview Conan had, I have my doubts if he will be up to the task that is set before him. He has pretty big shoes to fill as people have told him time and again. Jay Leno had big shoes to fill too when Johnny Carson left the show and he took over. Conan O'Brien took over the Late Show from David Letterman when he went over to a rival network so he is familiar with filling big shoes to be sure. In any case, best of luck to him and I hope he is ready for the challenge. As far as Jay Leno going "where no one will find him ... NBC Primetime," as long as people realize he is on earlier, I'm sure the show will do fine. It will just be bizarre watching him while people are still awake. Unfortunately for NBC, this may be one of those things where you watch Leno at 10 and then flip to Letterman afterwards.

I made a dumb move last night. I was at work and we got pizza from the new pizza place next door to us. That tasted good but I ate the entire medium pie myself (they are smaller pies and the serving suggestion is 1 - 2 people so I did not feel too bad). I then had a milk shake. When I got home 5 hours later, I had yogurt. My goodness the heartburn kicked in then. I'm thinking that was way too much dairy. I had to eat 3 tums just to calm my stomach down enough to sleep. It was one of those heartburns that hurt so bad my back was aching. It felt like I had pulled a muscle but it was actually my internal muscles trying to keep me from erupting in a frothy mess (yes, I make cappuccinos in my digestive system). Note to self: don't eat that much stuff from a cow in a short period of time.

Blogger has this "monetize" tab at the top of my "create post" window. When you click it, it goes to your ads so you can adjust how they are positioned or remove them entirely. You are probably wondering why they would want to even give you that option of removing the ads without paying to use the site or something. Well, it seems they have a different approach. They have decided to motivate you to have ads on your blog. I did not go with their "recommended" setting of having ads infiltrate every piece of my blog but I have them below my latest entry. Oh, sorry, back to why I would want to have ads on my blog. They have created a program called adsense (actually an old program whereby you place their ads on your site) and every click gets you money from your ads. If you do not have ads on your site, you cannot earn any money for the clicks. I figure, sure why not? If people want to click an ad, I might as well get paid for it right? I personally think it's a great idea to pay someone for the ad on their blog -- makes people a lot less angry than forcing it upon them. We'll see if they go to mandatory ads in the future but for now, I have it on there just because I could potentially make money on it so why not?

I have been eating these Frosted Mini Wheats that are made with chocolate. They are mini-bite sized, which is interesting but they are also quite delicious. Surprisingly, the sugar in the cereal is only 12g per serving compared to some sugary cereals that are much higher. It also tastes great and you still get the fiber they insist everyone wants.

I seem to blog much like George Carlin used to do his stand-up. I do not really have "transitional material." I just go from point to point :) In any case, I have a huge box of Cheez-Its sitting here and the "puns" on the back are truly awful. "Wholly Cheese!" and "Cheez-It. The Big Cheese" are both on the back. Wooooow. They must think this stuff up at brainstorming sessions. It's a good thing their crackers taste good.

Well I suppose this should "quench the thirst" of those wondering what's going on in my life. I suppose not much of this entry really discussed me persay but at least it's an update and not the kind that just says, "I'll update later." I think I'll go to the pool now. It's supposed to go up to 90 so I'm sure as soon as I get out there I'll be motivated to go for a swim. Bye!

1 comment:

TheTopherExpress said...

clicked on some ads, maybe I made you money..