Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Smoking smoking smoking. No I'm not talking about girls or some other innuendo. I'm talking about smoking. I just don't get it. I even had a conversation tonight about it but I still don't get it. OK, I understand that smoking "feels good" but I still don't get how you ever know that since it seems to me to be way too gross to even consider trying it.

Let's think about this logically. Have you ever come home at night and gone, "mm, I smell like smoke. Maybe I'll sleep in this"? No. No you have not because just reading that makes you cringe. Why then do people consider inhaling it into their lungs to be a good thing? Why is the "rush" so worth it? Why do we even know about this rush? Smoking didn't smell better in the 1700s did it? Sure I suspect more people/everyone did it. Maybe that made it matter less since it was considered elegant and sophisticated or whatever but ... I dunno.

What starts a smoker up on it? Friends? Family do it? Crap, if family or friends are doing it, that'd be more motivation for me to not do it. You smell it and it sure as hell doesn't make you want one, does it? Some may smell better than others but I mean the smoke that clings to your clothing. That smoke smells the same rank self each and every time.

Take this evening. I was sitting in my chair breathing normally and I felt like I was smoking the entire time! Again, I never have actually smoked so I'm sure it was a bit different but I actually started coughing from it all. I decided it best to take a shower -- exactly what most people do after being in a smoky environment. So yeah, I feel much better and I can breathe without coughing now. Double bonus.

Case in point ... smoking is gross. I don't know why they do it. I don't know why people continue doing it. I don't know why people insist on smoking to death because of it. I've seen too many cancer cases resulting from smoking, not to mention heart attacks and emphysema. It's clearly not healthy, it's clearly not an attractive quality anymore, it's clearly something that should end.

K, I'm done ranting. Now I have half the world mad at me so I'm going to bed. Thanks!

No comments: