Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Now that I have a mysterious "anonymous" commenter/fan, I cannot let them down by failing to update my blog. Here I am ... updating. I guess I should have thought of some stuff to say before starting though, huh?

I've been buying baked chips lately and have been pleased with them. I knew I liked Baked Lays and I still can eat a whole big bag by myself in one sitting if I don't make a conscious effort to put it down, but at least it's baked right? :-\ I bought baked Ruffles because I haven't had Ruffles in a long time and Baked Ruffles sounded interesting. I will say that they put WAAAAY too much salt on one side of the chip. If you put the wrong side in your mouth, bam -- you're filled with salt in your mouth and don't even realize you have potato with it. It's still enjoyable but if I have a cholesterol problem, this is going to bring it to a head. I also bought Natural Tostitos Tortilla Chips. Makes me wonder what the other Tostitos Tortilla Chips are really made of if these are the "natural" ones. I haven't tried them yet but I really enjoy the homemade chips of that burrito place up north that Jeff and I used to get food from at work, and the ones down here are also pretty decent. Both had a subtle taste and a more "natural" feel to them so I thought maybe these natural chips would be similar. I'll find out when I get to that bag (I don't open multiple bags because then they'll go stale if I decide to not eat them all).

Work has been going pretty well lately. I feel I am ready to take on a lead manager position in the company. This is both good news and bad news since there is a lead manager at my current theater meaning I'd have to move again to move up. I hate moving. Jeff said he needs me back up with him but I still suspect they will not let me go back up, though he isn't lying about his needs since he's having a tough time finding applicants. Now I just need to work up the courage to ask Mr. T how he believes I am doing since we just had this conversation not too long ago and I'm sure he'll look and be like, "so how did things change so suddenly?" Meh, it may just be my mind trying to talk myself out of it. Who knows.

I decided to spend a little money on myself. I bought a new laser printer (only 100 bucks or so) and then I just ordered a battery backup for my computer (around 85 bucks). Can I afford it? I think so. Money seems to be doing OK so I went for it because I needed more power outlets and I wanted a battery backup for my computer in case I am here for the hurricanes that will inevitably come.

Speaking of hurricanes (and I am going to be so sorry I say this I know it) ... I swear hurricane season is usually a pretty stressful time for Floridians. However, I have not seen a single bit of activity in the Atlantic yet this season. I know, I know ... why would I WANT to see such activity. Well, I want to experience 1 (one, uno, a single instance) hurricane this season. After that I'll be good. I just want to see one and I'm sure a weak one is really no different than a bad thunderstorm -- just curious is all. I have renter's insurance in case I get more than I bargained for ... great, right?

I'm pretty happy because I have been going out and playing softball and doing other sorts of fun things recently. I haven't been to Big Kahuna's in a bit which is disappointing since I have a season pass and all but I've been getting outside just the same so that is good. People will still yell at me for not having a tan because I'm putting on SPF 30 whenever I go to softball or Big Kahuna's but I'm trying to avoid skin cancer if I can. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

You know what's strange? My grandmother passed away only a month ago -- it feels like so much more time has passed. Maybe that is the body's way of trying to protect the emotions behind a loss, I'm not sure. My mother called it "funny" when her phone rang two days ago and it said "Mom" on her phone. It was her mother that passed and it was my uncle using the cell phone to see if it was still active. I don't know if I'd have found it funny -- probably would have made my stomach drop or something to that effect. Of course, I deleted her from my phone as soon as I heard -- not because I am heartless but deleting someone from your phone feels like pain all over again so I felt it best to do it all in one swift single instance. It worked. I don't really get too emotional usually but when my grandfather died and I deleted his number 3 or 4 months later, it was like him dying all over again so I knew it was best to take it in one stroke this time around.

Speaking of which, I have an addendum to my "eulogy" from the memorial service. Feel free to skip this paragraph if you are tired of me talking about my grandmother. I remembered another two instances that didn't come to me until much later after the service. One instance was when my family and I went to Disney World many years ago now. My grandparents met us there since they lived two hours away, which isn't a terribly long journey compared to the one we had made to drive down there. In any case, I wanted to go on the Runaway Railroad roller coaster (a pretty tame coaster in a time when I did not really get into roller coasters easily). My parents would not go on with me because my mother gets motion sickness and my father is not a huge fan of coasters himself. In any case, I was disappointed momentarily before my grandmother stated that she would go on with me. I looked in disbelief with a "really?" since I figured if my parents wouldn't go on, surely my grandmother would not want to do it. Well, she did and off we went to stand in the line for the ride. I am sure we talked during the wait and I believe she either rode next to me or directly behind me but we had a great time and it was a great memory. The second memory was in Universal I believe. Again, my grandparents, parents, and I went to a park (again, in this case Universal) and faced a ride that involved moving. It was a Jetsons / Flintstones ride narrated by William Hanna and Joseph Barbara (they were both alive when this ride was created and even when I went on the ride). This particular ride had a moving seat section where you felt like you were riding along with the Jetsons and Flintstones and then there was an idle seat section for people that wanted to watch the event but not move around. I wanted to go on the moving part of course and my parents were all about the idle section. Well, we solved that problem and my grandparents (I don't recall if it was just my grandmother or both my grandmother and grandfather) went with me on the motion section. We had a great time of course (I don't remember much more detail than that since I was quite a bit younger and I am sure our conversations were not terribly deep). In any case, both are fond memories that I have firmly planted in my mind. I wish I had talked to her about these memories at some point in the last few months. It's another one of those things that you don't realize you should have done until the time to do so passed. In any case, I have the memories so they will be with me forever.

Have you ever wondered if you were doing the right thing? Like, for instance, moving to Florida for a career opportunity. Is that something that is really worth separating you from your family? Things like death make you think about that type of thing and I don't know that I really have the answer. It is what I chose to do and I am doing it but sometimes I wonder if it was the right move. It will probably take some time for me to realize one way or the other.

I guess that's it for now. Have a good day, night, week, or month depending on how long it takes me to blog again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurricanes are pretty sweet. In my nine years of living in Florida, the highest category I've experienced was a three, though. I think I'd get shot if I said I loved hurricanes of a higher, town destroying level. I just like listening to the wind and watching the rain fall sideways.

I've never really experienced a death in my family. My grandmother is ever-so-slowly wasting away in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. I really, really hate visiting her. We were quite close. It's really hard to see her just laying there, unmoving. I think it is kind of cruel of my family to just keep her in that state. I'm not sure I'd want to be alive if I was her.

I'm sorry you are so far away from your family and friends. :/ You are definitely loved in Florida, though!

/the anonymous poster